You'll need just a few supplies to get started...
- Citra-Solv concentrate
- National Geographic magazine (you can try others but I've heard these work best)
- a shallow pan or tray to contain your mess
- paper towels
- rubber gloves
1) You only need to sprinkle the pages. If you use too much solvent, the ink will just run off your pages. Here you see can how the pages that were just sprinkled turned out quite well:
While the ones that I soaked in solution were complete duds:
2) Don't smash your book too hard or you'll squish out all of the dissolved ink.
3) Don't be afraid to play with the wet pages.
4) Try masking off interesting areas where you want to preserve the imagery.
This is a great video to watch before you get started:
Citra-Solv also has several tutorials and galleries on their website here:
Here are some of my favorite pages from this experiment... Which one is your favorite?